Friday, February 27, 2009

The little engine that couldn't.

If you remember back so many days ago when Val and I were at Thai Boxing with the Frenchies and Alyne, as we parted ways on the street with much European cheek kissing, we realized that we were going to be on the same train back to Bangkok as Fred and Sophie. We were about to compare tickets to see where everyone was sitting when Fred said that fate had brought us together so many times that he was sure we would see each other on the train too. So when we arrived, Val and I found our seats and settled ourselves when all of a sudden the Frenchies arrived. They were in the seats right next to ours. Fate indeed!


Fred and Sophie - right next to us.
Plus, miracle of miracle, there was no one in our upper bunks so we all had double seats to lounge about in. All was going swimmingly for the first 45 minutes until the train stopped. Nothing too unusual until about an hour had passed before a buzz from the tourists started. "What is going on?" Rumour had it that the engine did not have 'enough energy' to make it up the hill. Val had acquired an admirer by this time who was hovering around. He would ask every time someone with a walkie talkie would rush by but his English skills were limited so he was having a hard time explaining to us what was what. After another hour it was declared (can one say declared when it is said through the grapevine) that the train was going back to the last station for a new engine or repairs. So back we went. I guess they fixed it because after a four hour delay we started back up and went toward Bangkok. It actually worked out well for me and Val. We had wanted to take a later train but that one didn't have sleepers so the one we took was supposed to arrive at 6am. We were going to have to kill 4 hours before we could get a room but as it happened we arrived in Bangkok at 11 which is just in time for check out at noon.


Another hazy sunrise/set from the train window.
This time we decided to go Lux and get a room in the hotel across from our last place. We had seen that they had a pool. Plus we have lots of baht left and are feeling rich after our $4 rooms in Chang Mai. So we checked into the Khoasan Palace. Air, TV, second floor, our own bathroom for $25 bucks plus the pool that we don't seem to be using. My favourite part is the blankets - they are huge towels!

Last night we were pretty exhausted but we went shopping for awhile, again, so much to buy and so many bahts left to spend - not my usual state. I bought a purse (don't say it, lea) and more pendants, a couple of t-shirts etc etc. Val found some necklaces she really liked, fisherman pants and a t-shirt, and some cheap bead necklaces. good fun. then we met the Frenchies for dinner - next trip - France!


Elephant statue in a very busy traffic circle

Today, we went to the market outside the Grand Palace, the amulet market. Appropriately named since they sell these Buddha amulets at practically every stall. it is quite a thing here. There were magazines (in Thai) that seemed to be about collecting them. There were sellers and monks etc with jewellers eyes (magnifiers) checking them out. I of course, just bought the cheap ones that appealed. I bought a few from one guy who was so happy when I asked to take his picture that he just kept handing me more, I would try to give him more money and he would put more in the bag. I think I bought four and ended up with about 10. Those ones were loose, not in one of the pendant cases (I will have to show you).


My generous amulet salesman.


Meat balls (who knows what kind of meat?) on sticks


Flowers for the household mini-temple.
Oh, I forgot, Jennifer will love this if she is reading this blog. When we crossed the street (frogger style, as always) these ladies approached us and handed us baggies of corn. We didn't really know why until one of them opened some of the bags and put them in our hands. Oh My God - the pigeons when ballistic! they were all over us, on our hands and arms, faces, in our hair. Yikes, they have sharp little claws, there must have been hundreds of them and the ladies just kept pouring more corn into our hands. I couldn't get away fast enough. And for this horror, they demanded money! No likely. They weren't happy but we made out it with our eyes still in our heads and our baht safely tucked away to be spent on non-Hitchcockian events.


Val right after the pigeon attack, trying to get rid of the last bag of corn.



The troops massing for another attack - just bring out the corn!



The one noteworthy pigeon in the bunch. A spotted dove.

It is so hot here, I can't describe it. I must be 40 degrees. I thought I was going to pass out. Fortunately, we managed to get into a 7-11 before I completely turned to a messy paste (dust and sweat). There at 7-11s everywhere here and they just blast the air conditioning (thank god). A couple of beverages and a bite of food and we headed back to the hotel to recuperate. Now we have our last baht to spend and our very stuffed bags to pack before we head to the airport tomorrow for our 8am flight.

A couple of random images from our last day in Bangkok


A dog head sticking out of a bridge.  Why? Who knows.



A typical image of the king, they like his image from 40 years ago, you rarely see a current 'old' picture of him.

We will be back on Saturday at around noon. I am going to try to stay awake until at least 7pm - either wish me luck or give me a call so keep me alert. See you all soon. Joanne

No comments: